Paulo Dybala will depart Juventus at the end of the season after the Serie A club revealed on Monday that the Argentine’s contract would not be renewed in the summer.
Juve CEO Maurizio Arrivabene put an end to months of conjecture by stating that the club made no offer to Dybala’s agents at a previous meeting in Turin. Dybala had been awaiting extension discussions after the club’s withdrawal of a verbal agreement agreed in October, which would have increased his basic wage to eight million euros ($9.1 million) each season.
“With the arrival of (striker Dusan) Vlahovic (in January) the footballing structure at the club has changed. Juventus’ project has changed and part of this change included Dybala’s contract which today was not renewed,” Arrivabene told reporters.
“It would have been easy for Juventus to make a much-reduced offer but it would have been disrespectful to Paulo.”
“Paulo is no longer at the centre of the Juventus project, that’s why we preferred to make this decision,” he said.
“No-one has ever questioned his quality but there were considerations to be made over his appearance numbers and length of his contract.”
Dybala joined Juventus in 2015 from Palermo and has won five Serie A championships and four Italian Cups since then.