Australia Cancels Novak Djokovic's Visa For The Second Time

On Friday, Australia revoked Novak Djokovic’s visa for the second time, claiming that the world tennis number one had not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and so posed a health danger.

After a judge invalidated an earlier revocation on COVID-19 entrance requirements and freed Djokovic from immigration detention on Monday, Immigration Minister Alex Hawke invoked discretionary powers to deny Djokovic’s visa once again.

Djokovic, 34, had the opportunity to appeal the cancellation, and a judge indicated a preliminary hearing on the visa will be held at 0945 GMT. It didn’t go into detail.

According to The Age newspaper, the Serbian had been called to appear before immigration authorities on Saturday and will not be sent to jail in the meanwhile. He was vying for a record 21st Grand Slam championship at the Australian Open starting Monday.

“Today I exercised my power under Section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so,” Hawke said in a statement.

Djokovic would be unable to get a visa for Australia for three years under Section 133C.

A team insider claimed Djokovic was evaluating his options. Hawke’s office declined to respond.

An international dispute about unvaccinated children’s rights has erupted, complicating Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s campaign for an election expected in May.

“Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic, and they rightly expect the result of those sacrifices to be protected,” Morrison said in a statement.

“This is what the minister is doing in taking this action today. Our strong border protection policies have kept Australians safe,” he said, adding he would be making no further comment in view of expected legal proceedings.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

WhizzPost
%d bloggers like this: